T-money is a transportation card as well as a device used to pay for transportation fares, and, in some cases, transactions at convenience stores. The T-money function is often added onto various payment (credit/debit) and discount travel cards.
T-money can be used on public buses and subways in several different metropolitan cities including Seoul-si, Gyeonggi-do region, Daejeon-si, Incheon-si and Busan-si(Not available in some areas). It offers 100 won off the basic cash fare, and still more when transferring from one bus to another, one subway line to another, or from bus to subway or vice versa (within a transfer time limit). Also, the remaining balance on the T-money card can be refunded after a 500-won service charge deduction. Moreover, T-money does away with the hassle of purchasing single journey subway tickets.
• Price: 2,500 won
• Areas accepting T-money
|Areas||Seoul Subway Lines 1–9, Incheon Subway Line 1, Airport Railroad, Sinbundang Line, Uijeongbu Light Rail / Incheon, Daejeon, Daegu, Ulsan and Busan Subways, Gimhae Light Rail||Seoul, Gyeonggi-do Province (all) / Incheon, Daejeon, Daegu, Ulsan, Busan / Gangwon-do Province (Chuncheon, Wonju, Gangneung) / Chungcheongnam-do Province (all) / Chungceongbuk-do Province (Chungju, Jecheon, and 9 counties) / Jeollanam-do Province (Mokpo, Yeosu, Gwangyang, Naju, and 7 counties) / Jeollabuk-do Province (Jinan, Imsil, Buan, and 7 counties), Gyeongsangnam-do Province (Changwon, Tongyeong, Geoje, and 5 cities & counties), Gyeongsangbuk-do Province (Pohang, Andong, Gyeongju, and 7 cities & counties) / Jeju Island|
• Sales locations: Convenience stores (GS 25, CU, Mini Stop, Buy The Way, 7-Elven) bearing the T-Money logo, and Ticket Vending and Card Reload Devices inside subway stations
• Recharge/Refund locations: All sales locations (except Andong, Tongyeong, Geoje and Daegu)
1. Upon boarding the bus, place a T-money card on the sensor bearing the T-money logo located at the front of the bus until it beeps. The sensor will display the amount charged on the top, and the remaining balance at the bottom.
2. Before getting off the bus, place the T-money card on the sensor located at the back of the bus until it beeps in order to receive a discount at the next use (within a transfer time limit).
1. Place a T-money card on the sensor bearing the T-money logo located on top of each of the subway turnstiles until it beeps. The sensor will display the amount charged on the top, and the remaining balance at the bottom. If you are transferring, the amount charge may appear as “0” (zero).
2. Place the T-money card on the sensor until it beeps when leaving the subway platform in order to receive a discount at the next use (within a transfer time limit).
T-money can be used to pay taxi fares in the main cities. Place a T-money card on the T-money sensor, and the fare will be deducted from the balance.
Transfer discounts are imposed on bus/subway fares only when using T-money. For instance, when transferring five times while traveling a total distance of 10㎞, you can either use T-money to pay the base rate of 1,050 won at the departure point and no additional charges at subsequent transfers, or use cash to pay the base cash rate of 1,150 won at each transfer, which would incur a total of 5,750 won (1,150 won x 5 transfers).
Rule of thumb: In order to receive transfer discounts using T-money, you must place the card on the sensor when boarding and getting off a bus/subway.
|Subway||Adults||1,050 won||1,150 won||
Base fare (first 10㎞): 1,050 won
10-40㎞: 100 won per 5㎞
+40㎞: 100 won per 10㎞
|Youth||720 won||1,150 won|
|Children||450 won||500 won|
|Blue Bus / Green Bus (4-digit number)||Adults||1,050 won||1,150 won||Up to three children (age 6 and under) accompanied by an adult may ride the bus for free|
|Youth||720 won||1,000 won|
|Children||450 won||450 won|
|Green Village Bus (2-digit number)||Adults||750 won||850 won|
|Youth||480 won||550 won|
|Children||300 won||300 won|
|Yellow Bus||Adults||850 won||950 won|
|Youth||560 won||800 won|
|Children||350 won||350 won|
|Red Bus||Adults||1,850 won||1,950 won|
|Youth||1,360 won||1,800 won|
|Children||1,200 won||1,200 won|
• Related Column: New Bus System of Seoul
T-money card is rechargeable in the amounts ranging from 1,000 won to 90,000 won at any of the T-money vendors or Ticket Vending and Card Reload Devices inside most subway stations.
1. Select your preferred language.
2. Touch the ‘T-money Card’ box on the right side of the screen.
3. Place your T-money Card on the recharging pad.
4. Select the amount of money you wish to recharge.
5. Pay the total recharge amount. The Device takes 1,000/5,000/10,000-won bills and 50/100/500-won coins.
6. Wait briefly while the Device recharges your T-money Card. Once the card is recharged, check its balance.
For the remaining T-money balance of 20,000 won or less, you may receive a refund with 500-won deduction at a partner convenience store (GS 25, CU, Mini Stop, Buy The Way, 7-Eleven) bearing the T-money logo. If the remaining balance exceeds 20,000 won, you may receive a refund at the T-money Headquarters. T-money Cards are not returnable.
For more information, please visit the official T-money website.
Metropolitan Pass or M-Pass is a transportation card offering limited rides (up to 20 rides per day) in the Seoul Metropolitan City area, including Seoul Subway Lines 1-9, Incheon Metro, Airport Metro Commuter (except Airport Railroad Express) and Seoul bus.
M-Passes come in five different types: 1-day, 2-day, 3-day, 5-day and 7-day passes. They are valid for designated time period, and expire at midnight on the last day of validity. (e.g. 3-day M-Pass Activation: January 1, 2012 / Expiration: Midnight, January 3, 2012)
As M-Pass has the T-money function, it can be used on buses, on taxis, and at select convenience stores as long as there is usable T-money balance. Once you have used up the limited subway rides on M-Pass, you may use its T-money function to ride subways.
M-Passes are available for purchase at Seoul Travel Information Centers (I-Tour Seoul Centers) in Incheon International Airport Passenger Terminal. When buying an M-Pass, you must pay a refundable deposit of 4,500 won, and a non-refundable service charge of 500 won. Also, you will receive discount coupons for admission to popular tourist attractions. The deposit as well as any remaining T-money balance on the M-Pass is refunded when you return it to any of the I-Tour Seoul Centers.
|1-day pass||10,000 won|
|2-day pass||18,000 won|
|3-day pass||25,500 won|
|5-day pass||42,500 won|
|7-day pass||59,500 won|
Seoul Travel Information Centers (I-Tour Seoul Centers)
- Locations: Incheon International Airport Passenger Terminal (1F), Exits 5 & 10
- Inquiries: +82-32-743-3270
- Upon purchasing M-Pass, you will receive coupons for discounted admission to N Seoul Tower, Chongdong Theater, Lotte World, and other tourist attractions.
Ticket Vending and Card Reload Devices inside subway stations
- 4,500-won deposit
- Remaining T-money balance
Seoul City Pass is a transportation card offering limited rides (up to 20 rides per day) on subways and buses in the Seoul Metropolitan City. In addition, the Pass offers unlimited rides on the downtown route of Seoul City Tour Bus, and also 20% off rides on the evening route.
Seoul City Pass comes in three different types: 1-day, 2-day, and 3-day passes. They are valid for designated time period, and expire at midnight on the last day of validity. (e.g. 2-day Seoul City Pass → Activation: January 1, 2012 / Expiration: Midnight, January , 2012)
|Type||1-day pass||2-day pass||3-day pass|
|Price||15,000 won||25,000 won||35,000 won|
|Maximum Seoul City Tour Bus (downtown route) rides||Unlimited
subway rides (per day)
|20||Total 40||Total 60|
• Transportations accepting Seoul City Pass:Seoul Subway / Blue, Green, and Yellow buses operated in Seoul
• Transportaitons accepting Seoul City Pass:Seoul Subway Line 9 and Sinbundang Line / Red buses, and buses operated in Gyeonggi-do and Incheon
• Sales locations: Convenience stores (GS25, CU, Mini Stop, etc.) located in the Passenger Arrival Terminal (1F) of Incheon International Airport, Tourist Information Offices (Dongdaemun, Gwanghwamun, Itaewon, Gimpo Airport, Samilgyo, Namdaemun, Jamsil)
• Refund:Not available
Seoul City Pass Plus is a transportation card with the T-money function and additional tourist benefits, which can be used in and around Seoul. The benefits include monetary transactions at four ancient royal palaces (Gyeongbokgung, Changdeokgung, Changgyeonggung, and Deoksugung), Jongmyo Shrine, as well as many convenience stores. The card also offers 5% off rides on Seoul City Tour Bus, and other discounts at dozens of tourist sites and shops including exhibitions, restaurants, opticians’ and beauty salons.
• Sales/Recharge locations: Convenience stores (GS25, CU, Mini Stop, Buy The Way, 7-eleven) bearing the T-money logo
• Price: 3,000 won (Discount guide booklet included)
• ransportation: Buses, subways, and Seoul City Tour Bus in the Seoul Metropolitan City area
• Refund: You may receive a refund for the remaining balance on Seoul City Pass Plus with 500-won deduction at the designated sales locations.
For more information, please visit the official Seoul City Pass website.
Passengers may register their T-money Card in order to accumulate T-mileage points in select areas of the country. Once T-mileage reaches 1,000 points, passengers may convert the points into cash for recharging T-money.
- Enter the 16-digit number on the back of a T-money Card on the official T-money website
(www.t-money.co.kr). Each passenger is allowed to register up to 5 cards.
Each passenger is allowed to register up to 5 cards.
- Set a Recharge Password. (Required for future recharges)
- Registration limited to Korean citizens and long-term foreign residents (i.e. Alien Registration Card holders)
- Enter the Recharge Password.
- Convert T-mileage points into cash for recharging T-money.
• Areas where T-mileage points are accumulated: Seoul Metropolitan City (including Incheon Airport Bus), Yongin Light Rail, Daejeon, Pohang, Yeongju, Mungyeong, Sangju, Jeju
• Recharging Stations: ATM (NICE or Nautilus Hyosung) inside subway stations, Convenience stores (GS 25, 7- Eleven, Buy The Way, Mini Stop)
• More information on T-mileage: